Hurricane Insurance. Did you know...

We had the pleasure to sit down with Karina from LDM Insurance and chat with her to get your most asked Hurricane Insurance questions answered!

TRESI:  Thank you for taking the time to help our customers understand what they should be asking or knowing when it comes to Hurricane Insurance here in South Florida.  Can you share a little about yourself so our community can get to know you. 

Karina:  Hello, my name is Karina Pavek. I am a licensed insurance agent and I have been servicing customers, with LDM Insurance Advisors, a family owned & operated agency, for the last 12 years. I'm a mother of two, and in my spare time, I love spending time with my family and enjoying the beautiful Florida weather. I pride myself in providing excellent service, by always dealing with my customers directly, to ensure we may build long-lasting relationships. My mission is to help customize insurance coverage policies, tailored to each client's specific needs. I believe all policyholders should be aware of their risk exposures and it is my goal to help my clients understand what insurance policies make sense for them so that I can provide them with proper coverage. 

TRESI: Thank you for that, so let’s dive right in.  Can you tell me  Does flood insurance cover hurricanes in Florida?

Karina: Flood insurance covers losses directly caused by flooding. In simple terms, a flood is an excess of water on land that is normally dry. Most homeowners insurance policies don’t cover floods, including water from a storm surge. To get coverage, you’ll need flood insurance. Flood insurance policies usually impose a 30-day waiting period between the time you buy the policy and the time the policy becomes effective. Flood insurance policies, on new loan transactions, become effective immediately. You can buy flood insurance separately through the National Flood Insurance Program or on the private market.

TRESI: How do I know if I am adequately covered for hurricane-related damages?  What should I make sure is listed in my policy?

Karina: The Declaration Page of your insurance policy will state whether the policy covers hurricane related damages. You should make sure there is a hurricane deductible listed on the insurance policy. 

TRESI: What documentation or evidence is usually needed when placing a hurricane claim?

Karina: A Statement of loss, or description of loss occurred, will be required when placing a hurricane related claim against your insurance policy. Call your insurance carrier immediately after experiencing a hurricane related loss. You can document the loss by taking pictures or videos of the damage in your home. 

PRO TIP: Take pictures of your property before a major storm, and always keep receipts of any out of pocket expenses. 

TRESI:  Do most insurance policies include money for living expenses if we have to leave our home because of a hurricane or if it gets damaged, or do we need to request it separately? Can you explain how this works a little please. 

Karina: If you’re unable to live in your home due to damage from a hurricane, your policy’s loss of use coverage may pay for a hotel, meals, and living expenses. Depending on your insurance carrier, loss of use coverage may be included in your policy or it may need to be added to your policy for an additional fee. 

TRESI: Are there any optional coverage options I should consider to enhance my hurricane protection?

Karina: Florida does not offer any optional hurricane coverage outside of your standard insurance policy. You should consider having a lower hurricane deductible, in order to reduce or minimize out-of-pocket expenses resulting from hurricane related damages. 

TRESI: What proactive measures can I take to reduce my risk and potentially lower my insurance premiums? 

Karina: You may reduce the risk of loss due to hurricane related damage by protecting all of the openings in your property. This includes, all of the windows and doors of your property with shutters and or impact glass; by doing so, this may also help lower your insurance premium. All work related to the 4 major points of a property, such as roof, plumbing, electrical and HVAC should be done by a licensed professional.

TRESI:  Thank you for taking the time to educate us.  The last question our Community has is: As an Insurance Agent what is the most common piece of coverage that many people overlook or do not get and regret it?

Karina: Oftentimes, customers decline personal property coverage, which covers all of your personal contents inside of your home, and water damage coverage, which covers sudden and accidental water damage. Furthermore, many people overlook and decline a Flood Insurance Policy because they are not in a flood zone. This is very common and will place you at risk if a loss is incurred due to a flood. 

Below is how you can reach Karina if you have additional questions or are looking for an Insurance Policy. 

Email: | Office- 305-504-5006 |Fax- 305-504-5007| 

Post a Comment